Kybella for double chin
Kybella is an injectable prescription medication used to treat submental fullness or, in layman’s terms, “double chin.” Submental fullness means the accumulation of excess fat beneath the chin, which can create the appearance of a second chin. Kybella is an FDA-approved method for improving the contour of the chin and jawline without the need for invasive surgery like liposuction.
Kybella’s active ingredient is deoxycholic acid, the body’s naturally occurring molecule. Deoxycholic acid helps in the absorption and breakdown of dietary fat. When Kybella is injected into the fat beneath the chin, it breaks down fat cells. Deoxycholic acid disrupts the fat cells cell membrane, causing them to rupture and be metabolized by the body’s natural processes. As a result, the fat is gradually eliminated, and the treated area becomes slimmer and more defined.
Kybella is generally suitable for individuals with mild to moderate submental fullness. People with more significant excess fat or those looking for a more dramatic change may consider surgical options like liposuction or neck lift procedures.
Does Kybella also reduce fat in other body parts?
Kybella is specifically approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for treating submental fullness, which is the excess fat under the chin area. Its approval and clinical studies have primarily focused on this area, and it is not intended or approved for use in other body parts.
Suppose you’re interested in reducing fat in areas other than the chin. In that case, alternative treatments and procedures, such as liposuction, CoolSculpting, or other non-invasive fat reduction techniques, are available depending on your specific goals and needs.
Expectations before and after Kybella treatment
Before and after Kybella treatment, it’s essential to have realistic expectations, understand the process, and work closely with a qualified healthcare provider to achieve the best results. Here’s what you can generally expect:
Before Kybella Treatment
- Consultation: You should have a thorough consultation with a qualified healthcare provider. During this consultation, you can discuss your aesthetic goals and determine your suitability for Kybella treatment.
- Assessment: The provider will evaluate your submental area to assess the extent of submental fullness and create a customized treatment plan. They will explain the procedure, potential side effects, and what you can expect.
- Multiple Sessions: Most patients require multiple Kybella sessions to achieve their desired results. The number of sessions varies depending on the extent of submental fullness.
- Preparation: Your provider will advise you on pre-treatment guidelines, including avoiding certain medications, alcohol, or smoking, and discussing medical conditions.
After Kybella Treatment
- Swelling and Redness: After each treatment session, it’s common to experience swelling, redness, and some discomfort in the treated area. These side effects are temporary and dissipate within a few days to weeks.
- Gradual Results: The reduction in submental fullness and improvement in the chin and jawline contour will occur gradually over several weeks to months as the body processes and eliminates the destroyed fat cells. You may see only a few results.
- No Weight Loss: Kybella does not result in weight loss; it is a localized fat reduction treatment for the submental area. It will not significantly affect your overall body weight.
- Maintaining a Healthy Lifestyle: To maintain the results and prevent the accumulation of new fat in the treated area, it’s important to maintain a healthy lifestyle, including regular exercise and a nutritious, balanced diet.
- Touch-Up Sessions: Sometimes, patients may opt for touch-up sessions to further refine their results or address any remaining submental fullness.
Tips on how to maintain Kybella results
Maintaining the results of Kybella treatment involves a combination of lifestyle choices and good skincare practices. Some tips like maintaining a nutritious diet, exercising regularly, staying hydrated, etc., help maintain Kybella results.
A balanced diet helps prevent the accumulation of new fat in the treated area. Consume a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains while minimizing processed foods, sugars, and unhealthy fats. Proper hydration is also essential for overall skin health. Drinking adequate water is one of the keys to maintaining fresh-looking and healthy skin.
Engage in regular physical activity to help maintain your overall weight and body composition. Cardiovascular and strength-training exercises can be beneficial. Rapid weight gain can lead to an increase in submental fullness. Make an extra effort to maintain a stable and healthy weight to prevent the return of excess fat under the chin. Aside from physical health, taking care of skin health also helps. Follow a good skincare routine to keep your skin healthy and youthful, including cleansing, moisturizing, and using products with antioxidants and anti-aging ingredients.
If you notice any concerns or changes in the treated area, consult your healthcare provider. They can offer guidance and recommend follow-up treatments if necessary. If you are currently following a skincare routine, maintain it. A good skincare routine, including regular cleansing, moisturizing, and using products with antioxidants and anti-aging ingredients, can help keep your skin looking its best. Lastly, in some cases, you may opt for touch-up sessions if you experience a return of submental fullness. Your provider can help determine if and when additional treatments are needed.
Remember that the results of Kybella are generally long-lasting because the destroyed fat cells typically do not return.
How is Kybella different from other treatments?
Kybella is different from many other treatments for reducing submental fullness, or a “double chin,” in several key ways:
- Non-Surgical Approach: Kybella is a non-surgical treatment that doesn’t require incisions or anesthesia, unlike surgical procedures such as liposuction or neck lift surgery.
- Minimally Invasive: While Kybella is non-surgical, it is minimally invasive. It involves a series of injections into the submental area to destroy fat cells. Other non-surgical treatments like CoolSculpting use different mechanisms, such as freezing the fat cells.
- Targeted Fat Reduction: Kybella is specifically designed to reduce and target fat in the submental area, effectively addressing a double chin.
- Deoxycholic Acid: Kybella’s active ingredient, deoxycholic acid, is a naturally occurring substance in the body that helps break down and absorb dietary fat, making Kybella’s mechanism of action unique.
- Gradual Results: Kybella typically provides gradual and natural-looking results over several weeks to months as the body metabolizes the destroyed fat cells.
- Long-Lasting Results: Kybella results are generally long-lasting because the destroyed fat cells do not typically return. Other non-surgical treatments may require occasional touch-up sessions.
- FDA-Approved: Kybella is FDA-approved for the treatment of submental fullness, providing a level of safety and efficacy assurance.
- Suitability for Mild to Moderate Submental Fullness: Kybella suits patients with mild to moderate submental fullness. Surgical options like liposuction or neck lift surgery may be more appropriate for those with more significant excess fat.