NovaThreads are made up of small, fully absorbable sutures made of polydioxanone (PDO), a synthetic biocompatible material long used in surgical settings. Our skin loses firmness and elasticity as we age, resulting in a sagging and wrinkled appearance of the chin, jawline, neck area, and a hollow appearance in the cheeks due to loss of volume. While these concerns are best remedied with surgical intervention, NovaThreads can help to create positive results with minimal downtime.
NovaThreads come in various sizes and shapes that can be combined with other injectables by your expert injector to create a customized treatment plan. Plus, in addition to lifting and tightening, this procedure also stimulates the body’s natural collagen production for long-lasting facial rejuvenation. This innovative procedure can lift drooping brows, restore volume to the cheeks, tighten the skin on and around the neck, and reduce the appearance of marionette lines and jowls.
If you have any of the following you are not a candidate for the service and need cancelled/rescheduled
- Lidocaine allergy-this injectable anesthetic may be used with thread insertion
- Active cold sores/rash, including active acne
- Pregnancy or breast feeding
- Blood thinners (such as but not limited to Coumadin etc)
- Unable to risk bruising for the next week
- Current illness/cold
If you have any of the following you may still get the service but must be advised you may be more sensitive and have more chance of a reaction
- Taking Aspirin products you have more of a chance of bruising
- Avoid Aspirin, Advil, or Ibuprofen for 7 days prior to treatment
- You may take Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
- Avoid alcohol prior to treatment for one day
Prior to Appointment
- No makeup to the appointment
- No cardio exercise 1 hour prior to treatment
- No alcohol 24 hours prior to appointment
- No direct pressure on face for 2 weeks
- No oral surgery / work for 2-3 weeks
- No other procedure that produces heat, for 6-8 weeks after thread placement. This includes IPL, BBL and “laser”
- No microneedling for 4 weeks after
- No Microneedling with radio frequency for 6 months after, it will dissolve the threads.
- No facials for one month or massage that includes the face for one month
- Bruising and swelling can be seen after the treatment
- Asymmetry and irregularity of the tissue is possible and typically resolves in one to two weeks
- Pain at the insertion point is possible
- Steam rooms, saunas, hot tubs or any water source that could be unclean or excessive in temperature for two weeks
- To increase the rate of healing time and decrease swelling and bruising, your provider may encourage you to take oral antihistamines (Zyrtec, Benadryl) and histamine blockers (Zantac, Prilosec, Tagamet)
NOVA THREADS FAQs
NovaThreads is a minimally invasive procedure that utilizes thread lifting to minimize visible signs of aging significantly. In areas of loss of volume or folds, the threads can stimulate collagen growth. They can also be used to tighten and pull the skin, such as the neck or brows. Over the next 4-6 months, your skin absorbs the threads, and they won’t leave behind scar tissue.
If you are deemed a candidate for NovaThreads, your provider will apply a topical anesthetic to numb the placement area. Once your skin is sufficiently numb, the NovaThreads, which come pre-packaged inside hypodermic needles, will be strategically placed under the skin according to your pre-determined treatment plan. While some patients experience mild swelling, tenderness, or redness at the placement site, most are typically able to resume their regular activities that same day.
NovaThreads are a quick, easy way to get immediate results with long-term benefits. Your body will absorb the PDO thread, but that doesn’t mean your skin won’t react to it. During the 4 to 6 months needed to absorb the PDO suture fully, your skin is also repairing itself around it. That repair process is called “controlled healing.” In medical terms, “selective inflammatory response” is the principle behind many aesthetic procedures (such as fractional laser, chemical peels, and microneedling). Our skin is very good at repairing itself, and by inserting NovaThreads, make it heal itself by creating new collagen, naturally!
NovaThreads can be used on their own and an excellent enhancement to fillers and Botox or Dysport.
The lifting and tightening effects of your NovaThreads procedure will be immediately visible, and your results will gradually improve over the following few weeks as collagen production is stimulated. Your body will naturally absorb the NovaThreads roughly six months after placement. Most patients find that their facial skin is visibly refreshed and revitalized after their procedure but retain a natural-looking appearance.
- Consultations for NovaThreads are available at both our Greensburg and Shadyside MediSpa.
- Treatment times vary depending on the size and number of treatment areas; typically, NovaThreads treatments take approximately 45 – 75 minutes.
- Results are visible immediately. However, most patients see optimal results 1-week post-treatment when the swelling has completely subsided.
- No downtime is required.
- May experience mild swelling, redness, and/or tenderness.
Benefits of NovaThreads
Kybella is performed in-office and typically takes 15-30 minutes. Multiple injections are performed during each session
- Minimally invasive, non-surgical procedure.
- NovaThreads can stimulate natural collagen production in the face and neck.
- The results of a NovaThreads procedure will continue to improve even after the threads have been naturally absorbed into the body.
- This treatment can be combined with other procedures, such as injectable fillers, during the same appointment.
- No downtime is required.